If you’re an aspiring online entrepreneur or already own an eCommerce business, you’ve probably heard the buzz about Shopify. This user-friendly eCommerce platform is designed to simplify the process of creating, managing, and scaling an online store. In this blog post, we’re going to dive into the depths of what Shopify is and how it works, so you can decide whether it’s the right platform for your online retail venture.
What is Shopify?
Shopify is an all-in-one eCommerce platform that provides you with the tools and resources needed to create, operate, and grow your online store. Think of it as a comprehensive suite of services to help you set up and manage your digital storefront. It allows you to craft an online shop, market to your customers, accept payments and handle shipping and delivery through a variety of sales channels and locations — all conveniently managed from a single hub.
Shopify is a completely secure platform; its safety is verified by a number of certifications and standards. It’s also cloud-based and cloud-hosted, making it accessible from any internet-connected device. This makes you free to run your business operations from anywhere.
How Does Shopify Work?
- Setting up shop: Getting started with Shopify is as simple as signing up, choosing your store name, and selecting a template for your website. Templates are like the décor of your shop; you can customize them to match your brand’s style, and Shopify offers a range of free and premium options to choose from.
- Adding products: Once your virtual shop is ready, you can start adding products. You can upload images, write product descriptions, and set prices effortlessly. Shopify makes it easy to organize your inventory and keep track of stock levels.
- Payment processing: Shopify ensures secure payment processing for your customers. It supports multiple payment gateways, so whether your customers prefer PayPal, credit cards, or “shop now, pay later” solutions like Klarna and Clearpay, you’re covered.
- Shipping and delivery: Managing orders and shipping is easy with Shopify. You can set up shipping rates, print shipping labels, and even track shipments right from your dashboard. Also worth knowing: Shopify Shipping negotiates discounts up to 88% with renowned global carriers such as USPS, UPS, and DHL.
- Customisation and extensions: Shopify offers a plethora of customisation options and an app store filled with extensions to enhance your store’s functionality. Want to add a chat function for customer support or integrate your store with social media? There’s likely an app for that!
How Much Does Shopify Cost?
Shopify offers a range of pricing plans, so you can choose the one that fits your budget and business needs.
- Basic Shopify (£25/month): Ideal for individuals and small businesses, this plan includes all the essentials for setting up an online store.
- Shopify (£65/month): This plan includes more features like multiple accounts and professional reports, making it suitable for growing businesses.
- Advanced Shopify (£344/month): Designed for medium to large businesses, this plan offers advanced reporting and the lowest transaction fees.
- Shopify Plus (Custom pricing): This enterprise-level solution is for large businesses with unique requirements. The price varies depending on the specific needs of the business.
Remember, while these are the basic plan prices, additional costs may be incurred for payment processing and extra apps. However, the investment is worth it when you consider the time and energy it can save you. Also, getting a yearly plan will save you 25% on your expenses compared to paying monthly.
WeCommerce Digital is a digital marketing agency specialised in in eCommerce website development, eCommerce SEO, PPC management and content marketing. We have over 10 years experience developing eCommerce websites and building digital marketing performance from zero to hero! If you want straightforward, honest, and measurable results as well as the opportunity to learn how they were achieved, visit our website today at weCommercedigital.com.